Saturday, January 24, 2009

A Favorite Gift

originally post on 11/16/07 Half-Past Kissin' Time

As a child, I grew up with very little in the way of material things. However, my mom, who was farm girl born during the Great Depression and was very resourceful, took advantage of every opportunity to enrich our lives. She took us to the library at least weekly, checking out books, tapes, magazines, and even paintings/prints to hang on our livingroom walls. This, and Mom's modeling the love for reading is one of the most valuable gifts she has given me. She read like a fiend (still does), and I try to do the same. There's nothing like a good book to take you away (if only for a while) from life's chaos, commitments, boredom or troubles. I've passed this love for books on to both of my children, who are voracious readers. We consider books some of the best presents to give/get.

The Give-a-Kid-a-Book campaign is off and running. I've been thinking about what books I might buy to donate. If I can give a kid a break from a tough life by giving him/her a book to escape into, I'm all for it. Even better if that kid laughs hard or feels the sweet intimacy of curling in a cozy lap to hear a story and forever remembers that feeling being connected to books.

Some of my most favorite books as a child include Mandy (by Julie Andrews, oddly enough), From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, The Little House on the Prairie series, and anything by Judy Blume, of course. Any other recommendations?
blog comments powered by Disqus
 

design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates